Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Foals' Yannis Philippakis calls David Guetta 'an abomination



NEWS -CINEMA-MUSIC-CELEBRITY-WORLD

via glooce



Foals frontman Yannis Philippakis has criticised producer David Guetta, saying his music is ruining hip-hop as well as the pop charts.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Philippakis said that while he understands the importance of "trashy culture" he could not accept Guetta and the "bullshit" music he makes.

"David Guetta is basically... it's not even something that really makes my blood boil because it is just bullshit. It is an abomination but there needs to be bad music around," he said. "You need Jilly Cooper novels and pulp, trashy culture. Plus, some people like shit music. I don't like David Guetta and I don't like that style. What bothers me more really is that a lot of hip-hop is being played over those backing tracks, and I find that a shame because I like hip-hop a lot."

Elaborating on this point, he added: "I can't listen to current hip-hop because the MCing isn't the skill of it anymore; it's more putting it over super-garish club tracks. If you compare it to what DJ Premier was doing in the early '90s and Rza with Wu-Tang, that's got real artistry and grit. When I don't hear that, it feels like hip-hop has lost something rather than progressed."

Source 2



No comments:

Post a Comment